|VIP private home pick-up service|
|Services of a cruise director|
|Wine & beer with lunch and dinner|
|Gratuities on cruise|
|All airport and port taxes|
Get picked up at home and whisked off to your departure point (within 50 miles).
Meals included: 8 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners
Budapest Explore the city on a guided walk, by guided bike tour, or on a city sightseeing tour.
Visegrad Choose between a Medieval Knights Tournament at the castle or a guided hiking tour.
Wachua Valley Paddle a canoe on a guided tour, take a bike tour from Spitz to Krems or join an interactive Wine World Experience.
A European Capital of Culture, Linz, Austria's third-largest city, welcomes you today with open arms and plenty to see and do. Depending on your arrival time, there's free time for shopping, exploring on your own, or joining an optional activity. This afternoon, board the Avalon Luminary and meet your friendly crew and fellow guests at a Welcome Reception.
As you slept, your ship arrived in the pretty market town of Engelhartszell near the German border. Step ashore and choose your activity:
* Visit the stunning rococo Engelszell Abbey to tour its brewery, explore its Sensory Garden, complete with stone labyrinth, herb garden, and vineyard and attend a tasting of locally produced cheeses and beer brewed by the Trappist monks.
* Join a fun guided hike along the route that smugglers took during World War II, when a tightly controlled border existed between Austria and Germany.
Back on your ship, an excellent lunch of Bavarian specialities will leave you energised and ready to join an exhilarating hike along The Danube. Fresh air and incredible vistas await as the Avalon Luminary passes through the Schlögen Oxbow, a particularly beautiful horseshoe shaped curve of the river. In Aschach, rejoin the ship, which returns to Linz for the night. This evening, optional theatre or music excursions are available, or you can mingle with the locals at a fun pub crawl.
Arrive this morning in Mauthausen, with evidence of human habitation dating back to the Neolithic Age. Here, we let you place your own personal stamp on your day as you choose your activity:
* Take a guided cycling tour to an ancient Roman border defence fort dating back to the 2nd century AD. Visit the museum dedicated to the site, with military weaponry, accounts of daily life, ceiling frescoes, sacred art objects, and more.
* Visit the 9th-century St. Florian Monastery, an architectural rival to Melk Abbey. While exploring, you may meet one of the monks (when available) or attend a short music recital. Or;
* Join a heart-wrenching tour of Mauthausen concentration camp, one of World War II's largest and most brutal Nazi work camps.
This afternoon, your ship passes through another breathtaking area, the Strudengau, popular among climbers and hikers for its enticing geological formations. Dock in Grein, a pretty country resort in the shadow of its castle. The guided walk includes a visit of the historic theatre, the oldest in Austria still holding regular performances. Then, visit Greinburg or Clam Castle, where you will meet the owner. After dinner, don't miss the spectacular views as we pass by Melk Abbey, perched high on a cliff above the river. The ship docks late tonight in Spitz.
Exciting activities abound today, choose your activity:
* Paddle a canoe on a guided tour down the Danube and along some of its tributaries, for a completely unique perspective of the river and riverbank villages.
* Bask in the fresh air and incredible views on an easy guided cycling tour from Spitz to Krems. Enjoy sightseeing in Dürnstein that includes the mesmerizing blue Stiftskirche, and enjoy a break to sample local specialties.
* Join an interactive wine world experience with wine tasting.
* Get a hands-on local encounter that showcases production of regional fruits, vegetables, wine, or other products, depending on the season. A snack and drink are included.
Back on board relax as you sail through the scenic Wachau Valley. This evening arrive in Vienna, the 'City of Music', where you have free time to join an optional guided walk through the vineyards outside town, with a wine tasting and dinner at a Heurigen wine tavern.
Once the centre of the mighty Habsburg Empire, this 'City of Music' inspired the creative genius of Mozart, Beethoven, and Strauss and will inspire you, as well. Waltz ashore and choose your activity:
* Enjoy a bike tour that takes in the sights along the famed Ringstrasse and areas of Vienna inaccessible to buses and cars.
* Slip on your trainers and join a jogging tour that shows you the highlights as you run between sites.
* Take a unique insiders tour that features something different every day. It could be anything, be it a visit to a musical instrument maker to a crash course on etiquette and protocol at diplomatic gatherings. You will meet locals, have the chance to prepare some food at a cooking class, and will enjoy other surprises as well.
* Get a proper introduction to Vienna during a city sightseeing tour that includes an inside visit of Belvedere Palace to see Klimt's celebrated Kiss.
Afterwards, you have free time to explore on your own. Maybe stroll through the pedestrian Kärntnerstrasse, take a break for a piece of decadent Sachertorte, or join an optional excursion. Tonight's on-board dinner pays a delicious tribute to the former Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
A second full day in Vienna presents even more opportunities to immerse yourself in the magic. Choose your activity for an experience most meaningful to you:
* Wrap yourself in the peace of the city at sunrise during an early-riser walking tour that includes breakfast at a Viennese café and an exclusive viewing of the Habsburg family's private art collections at the Museum of Fine Arts.
* For a more leisurely start to your morning, skip the walking tour and onshore breakfast and simply join us for the museum visit, which includes time in the Italian & Dutch masters gallery.
* Perfect for military history buffs, begin with the museum visit of the Habsburg collection, then explore the Military museum, commemorating the heroic past of the Habsburg Empire.
Tonight, enjoy a delectable dinner of Viennese specialities on board.
This morning, the Avalon Luminary passes by mighty Esztergom Basilica, coronation church of Hungary's monarchs. Later, arrive in Visegrad, where another exciting day is on tap. Choose your activitty:
* Cheer your favourite champion at a medieval knights tournament at Visegrad's Lower Castle, featuring targeting and fighting demonstrations by members of the St. George Knightly Order. During free time here, be sure to explore Palotaház, where stonemasons, smiths, potters, and paper-makers produce their traditional items using age-old techniques.
* Spend your day in the great outdoors on a guided hike through the Danube-Ipoly National Park, home to eagles, falcons, bats, terrapins, fire salamanders, and other wildlife.
Later this afternoon, your ship arrives in Budapest, affording magnificent views of the beautifully illuminated Parliament. Prepare for an exquisite Gala farewell dinner featuring foods specially paired with just the right area wines or beers.
One of Eastern Europe's most dynamic cities, Hungary's capital spans the Danube in a majestic way. Awaken refreshed and dig in to a hearty breakfast before disembarking and deciding how you would like to explore. Choose your activity:
* Take an enjoyable, 2-hour walking tour that includes some "Fungarian" instruction of useful local words and phrases.
* Join a guided cycling tour along the cycle paths and car-free areas for a safe and enjoyable way to see the city's most fantastic sights.
* See the best of Budapest on a city sightseeing tour featuring Heroes' Square, Fisherman's Bastion, Matthias Church, and an inside visit of the Opera House.
Afterwards, you have free time to shop for Hungarian paprika or hand crafted souvenirs, to savour a piece of cream cake in the world-famous Gerbeaud Café, or to join an optional tour of Budapest's limestone cave system or to play nine holes of golf.
Transfer to the airport for your return flight to the UK..
With just 138 passengers in 69 comfortable, well-equipped staterooms and suites, the Avalon Luminary is smaller than traditional river cruise ships, designed to navigate intricate waterways more easily. As with all of the river cruise ships in the Avalon fleet, Avalon Luminary's staterooms are well-equipped and decorated to hotel room standards, with floor-to-ceiling sliding glass windows and a French balcony, so you never have to miss the ever-changing views. The Sky Deck, with its sun beds and whirlpool bath, is a great place to socialise and meet friends while the rear lounge provides a tranquil oasis in which to unwind and relax. Guests have the use of a lift to access the staterooms.
Avalon Suites feature floor to ceiling sliding glass doors with French balcony, spacious living area, Comfort Collection Beds, featuring premium mattress covers, Egyptian super-combed cotton linens and European-style duvets, choice of soft or firm pillows, extra blankets, choice of bed configuration - two twin beds or one queen-size bed, nightly turn-down service, bedside tables with reading lamps, large private bathroom featuring full shower with glass door, hairdryer and premium L'Occitane bath amenities, spacious 3-door wardrobes with shelves for ample storage, easy under-bed luggage storage, flatscreen satellite TV with movie channels, alarm clock, writing desk/vanity with mirror and comfortable chair, complimentary Wi-Fi access, direct-dial telephone, bathrobes and slippers, well-stocked minibar, complimentary bottled water, in-room safe, individual climate control, continental breakfast and beverage room service available (service charge applies).
These staterooms feature floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors with French balcony, flatscreen satellite TV with film channels & radio, comfortable, hotel-style beds, Comfort Collection Beds, featuring premium mattress covers, Egyptian super-combed cotton linens and European-style duvets, choice of soft or firm pillows, extra blankets, choice of bed configuration - two twin beds or one queen-size bed, nightly turn-down service, bedside tables with reading lamps, spacious 3-door wardrobes with shelves for ample storage, writing desk/vanity with mirror and comfortable chair, easy under-bed luggage storage, large private bathroom featuring full shower with glass door, hairdryer and premium L'Occitane bath amenities, bathrobes and slippers, alarm clock, complimentary Wi-Fi access, direct-dial telephone, well-stocked minibar, complimentary bottled water, in-room safe, individual climate control, continental breakfast and beverage room service available (service charge applies).
These staterooms have Comfort Collection Beds, featuring premium mattress covers, Egyptian super-combed cotton linens and European-style duvets, choice of soft or firm pillows, extra blankets, choice of bed configuration - two twin beds or one queen-size bed, nightly turn-down service, bedside tables with reading lamps, spacious 3-door wardrobes with shelves for ample storage, writing desk/vanity with mirror and comfortable chair, easy under-bed luggage storage, large private bathroom featuring full shower with glass door, hairdryer and premium L'Occitane bath amenities, bathrobes and slippers, alarm clock, complimentary Wi-Fi access, direct-dial telephone, well-stocked minibar, complimentary bottled water, in-room safe, individual climate control, continental breakfast and beverage room service available (service charge applies).
There's no need to shop around. Find a cheaper like-for- like tour from another company, and we’ll not only match their price but also give you a £50 discount when you book with us.
They have in-depth knowledge of the places you’ll visit and will be on hand every step of the way with commentary entirely in English. 96% of customers rate them 'excellent' or 'good'.
We understand things change, often beyond your control. If you need to change your holiday plans, we offer a flexible deposit up until your balance is due.