Skip to Main Content

Travelling to Europe

Travel to Europe is a little different since we are no longer a member of the EU.Find our tips and advice below:

Book with confidence

You can book your holiday with us confidently knowing we are members of the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) and our flight-inclusive holidays are ATOL protected. Your holiday also remains to be protected by the Package Travel Regulations. The ABTA and GOV.UK websites are regularly updating, and we have provided some useful links below for further guidance.

Will I need a new passport after Brexit?

If you have a British Passport, it will need to be no more than 10 years old from the date of issue. Extra months on an adult passport due to early renewal will not count. Most places will require you to have at least 3 months' validity remaining from your date of travel. You will find the entry requirements for each Country you are visiting on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website. Please click here to view specific details for your destination.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

If you are going on holiday or travelling for business, you do not currently need a visa for short trips to Europe. You can stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. 

Will there be arrival changes in EU Countries?

You may need to show a return or onward ticket, show you have enough money for your stay. When going through passport control, you may not be able to use the EU or EEA passport lanes and may need to join the lane for ‘third country' or ‘non-EU’ visitors instead. Your passport will be stamped by the border officer on entry and exit to make sure you are complying with the 90-day visa-free limit for short stays. Some EU countries are currently rolling out an e-gate system to replace some of the manual passport checks. 

Do I need travel insurance?

We always advise travellers to take out comprehensive travel insurance with sufficient healthcare cover, including cover for existing medical conditions, Covid-19 disruptions, and any activities you plan to do. 

Can I use my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

If you have a European Health Insurance Card it will be valid up to its expiry date. If you apply for a card now, you will get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC. For more details Click Here

Please note that this information may change depending on the on-going negotiations between the UK and EU so we would advise that you regularly monitor the information.

Future changes

Passport stamping is expected to become fully automated in 2023 through the new Entry/Exit system (EES) to help process travellers quickly and efficiently.

The EU is eventually aiming to bring in a new visa waiver system, called ETIAS, which will be like the ESTA for travel to the USA and be valid for three years. Once introduced, British passport holders travelling to the EU will need to apply and pay for an ETIAS, via an online system.

Useful further reading: