Travelling after Brexit

The current rules for travel to Europe from the UK took effect from 1 January 2021. If you have any Brexit-related concerns about an existing or future booking with Cosmos, you can speak to one of our friendly advisers or your travel agent, who will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Book with confidence

We understand that these are uncertain times for travelling however rest assured that you can book your holiday with us confidently as we are members of the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) and our flight-inclusive holidays are ATOL protected. Your holiday also remains to be protected by the Package Travel Regulations. The ABTA and GOV.UK websites are regularly updating, and we have provided some useful links below for further guidance.

Will flights still operate to and from the EU after Brexit?

Yes. Tourist travel between the UK and the EU member states is highly valued and flights will continue to operate to and from the EU from 1st January 2021.

Will I need a new passport after Brexit?

If you have a British Passport, you will need to have at least 6 months left and your passport must have been issued within the last 10 years - even if it has 6 months or more left.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

The current advice for tourists is you will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland where you will be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Different rules will apply to Bulgaria, Croatia, and Romania. If you visit these countries, visits to other EU countries will not count towards the 90-day total.

Will there be arrival changes in EU Countries?

You may need to show a return or onward ticket, show you have enough money for your stay and may use different lanes from the EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens when queueing.

What happens if my holiday is cancelled due to Brexit?

There is no indication that holidays will need to be cancelled due to Brexit. However, if this were to occur, you would be covered under the Package Travel Regulations and would receive a full refund. All our holidays are covered by these regulations, so you can rest assured that you can book with confidence.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and travel insurance

We always advise travellers to take out comprehensive travel insurance with sufficient healthcare cover, including cover for existing medical conditions and any activities you plan to do.  

If you have a European Health Insurance Card it will be valid up to its expiry date. If you apply for a card now, you'll get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC. More details can be found on the ABTA website

Mobile Phone Data Roaming 

Rules around mobile data roaming are changing meaning you may face charges when making calls, sending messages or using the internet throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Remember to check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get from 1 January 2021.


Please note that this information may change so we would advise that you regularly monitor this  information.

Useful further reading

You can read the ABTA advice in full here:

Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice:

Book with confidence

We are a member of ABTA, and all our flight-inclusive holidays are protected by ATOL. So you can book, relax, and plan your sightseeing.